Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Just finished: The Woman in Cabin 10"




I do love a good thriller, even though I am slooow to get it, usually.  Well, always. Never. I never get it.  If it’s a good one though, I can at least see that I should have seen it coming.  The thing at the end, the plot twist. The good person who turned out to be bad, or vice versa.  But sometimes, honestly, it feels like the writer had no clue what the ending would be and just tossed the dice to figure it out, backtracking the plot to “make it work”. Sometimes these tactics turn out well for the writer, sometimes not.

That is kind of how I felt with “The Woman in Cabin 10”: until the last part. It really gets exciting toward the end, and it almost makes up for my eye roll earlier on.  I did enjoy the story and the boat. I love anything to do with water, particularly the ocean.  So as an “ocean thriller” it had me from page one. I enjoyed reading it, and at times it was tough to put down. I gave it a 4 out of 5 on Goodreads.


There are some fun characters and I would have loved to read more about them. I think we could have stood another 20 or 30 pages to let us really get to know the suspects.  We get an introduction early on then are supposed to have them memorized with no real context outside of bare bones identities.  I also wanted to hear more about this fabulous boat! Our main character is certainly likeable. One thing I liked was that she is not really a hero. She could be any of us. She is vulnerable, not infallible, and has her share of demons.  How she reacts to the situation is how any of us might.  It really put me inside the story and I liked that.

No comments:

Post a Comment